Monday, August 25, 2014

3D Dress Card Tutorial

Many of you have seen these 3D dress cards floating around on pinterest. I thought it would be fun to write a tutorial on how to make one of these cute cards. 


To get the pattern needed, you can print it off from one of my previous posts here http://www.yelloworigamibird.blogspot.com/2012/10/cute-dress-card-template.html

Keep reading after the break for step by step instructions and pictures! 

1. First cut out your dress card pattern.


I find it easiest to fold the pattern so I have a folded version to reference when I am making my dress. 
The red lines below indicate mountain folds and the teal lines indicate valley folds. It also helps to label the front and back on your pattern so you don't do the folds the wrong way! - I've done that many times only to have to refold the skirt.


2. Trace the pattern pieces onto your patterned paper and cut them out. Thinner paper is easier to fold, but thicker paper tends to hold the dress pleats better. You can keep the 'hem' of the dress even or use scalloped scissors to add a little design at the bottom.


3. Now flip your skirt over and make identical line markings on your dress as on the pattern. Fold along these lines. Make sure you are making the folds on the correct side! I always have to have my pattern along side as I am folding.


4. Choose paper for the card. I used a cream card stock for the body of the card and brown card stock for the mat on the front. 


5. If you are using a mat, glue it to the front of the card. I also rounded out the edges with scissors. 


6. Add glue in these spots to your skirt and glue it to the card. 


7. Notice the gap between the bodice and skirt. If you glue the bodice right to the top of the skirt it will look disproportionate. 


8. Now the fun part! Add a sash of ribbon or corresponding paper and buttons! When I use a ribbon bow I attach it with a hot glue gun. The button applique is from Michaels Arts and Crafts Store. 


Enjoy! I hope you have fun making your own 3D dress card! 

Linking up with these great blogs:









Go check them out! 



9 comments:

  1. What an adorable card, and great tutorial for how to make it! Thank you for this! Pinning it - and so glad it (immediately) came to my attention at the Motivational Monday linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the tutorial and thank you for pinning!

      Delete
  2. This is precious! I know so many to share it with. Thanks for informing us on the Thursday Blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, jus adorable and I can think of so many ways to use it! Thanks for sharing your post on the HomeAcre Hop, hope to see you again this week!
    -Nancy The Home Acre Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute card! A perfect one to make for my sisters. (o: Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you can use the tutorial!

      Delete
  5. trés jolie mais les cote vous prener des modele ou c'est a vue d'oeil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for an easy to follow tutorial. Have been looking for one for quite some time and your version is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how youve combined the CAS exterior with the interesting pop-up interior. Very cool. Have you ever see the 3D Cards . I found them on google, their website : http://popupcard.net. Just follow us to hear more informations.

    ReplyDelete