Monday, October 6, 2014

Fall Flower Arrangement Tutorial

Hello! Hope you all had a nice weekend and are ready to start up your week! I have here today a flower arranging tutorial for you! I think making flower arrangements is one of my favorite things to do! 

There are so many flower arranging philosophies out there! In school I took a home entertaining class where one of our projects was to make a flower arrangement. You had to have an odd number of each type of flower and the arrangement had to be secure enough to hold upside down and everything stay in place. For my wedding I had two different ladies give me help and advice for my flowers. The first kept every extra leaf and stem and incorporated them into the decor thus not wasting any bit of floral decor on hand. The second had the philosophy that flower arranging was art and that anything goes. She used a lot of live components in her decorating and used unique bases for her arrangements. All of these different ideas have been so helpful! I have found that you need to take the ideas that work for you and leave the ones that don't.

Click below to see the tutorial on how to make this arrangement. Feel free to take or leave whatever advice you want! :) 




1. First gather your 'ingredients' 

You will need: 
- Container
- Floral foam - I've found a container of marbles or small decorative rocks works well too
- Flowers
- Knife


I purchased my flowers from Michael's Arts and Crafts store. I like getting the ones that are all in a bunch and connected at the base. Then you know for sure your flowers coordinate. Also, tragedy struck my most favorite of all favorite mugs. The mug you see pictured saw me through my last two years of college, a year of full time work and four years of marriage. A week ago I noticed it had a huge crack down the side and would not withstand much more hot tea and dishwasher washings. I couldn't bear to get rid of it so I am using it as my flower arrangement base. Really, you can make a flower arrangement in anything!

2. Next cut your foam to fit your container. Ideally you want a nice snug fit. Mine wasn't too snug since I didn't want to break my already cracked mug. If it is important to you to tip your arrangement upside down and have nothing fall out you can use a hot glue gun to secure the floral foam. If you want to save some money and enjoy reusing your flowers and base though out the years to make and remake flower arrangements please don't do this. (I chose the second option)  :) 



3. After fitting your foam in your container take a color group and place them in your container as shown. Facing the four directions of the compass and one sticking straight up. Generally if you stick to an odd number of colors and start out your arrangement like this to solidify the shape, your arrangement turns out pretty nice. 


4. Fill in evenly with your next choice of flower. If you can't tell, I love symmetry. 


5. Continue filling in with flowers. It helps to have a shape in mind before you start your arrangement. I wanted a circular shape.


6. Keep filling in until you use up all your flowers. 


7. Adjust. Pull flowers out or push them in a bit or bend them. Whatever it takes to even them out and achieve the shape you are going for. 


8. Meditate on your arrangement. It helps to let your arrangement sit for a day and then see what you think of it. After thinking about mine I decided I didn't like the antennae look of my cat tails so I got rid of the reeds and pushed the cattails into the arrangement farther to help them blend in. 


Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and are able to make an arrangement of your own soon! 

Linking up with these great blogs!







14 comments:

  1. Pretty Fall arrangement, Janelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Hope you are enjoying some nice fall weather up north!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial. I will have to try this sometime! I just bought a couple beautiful fall bunches at Joann's because they are 50% off. May have to make an arrangement. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the tutorial. Joann's has great flowers too! I may have to go take a look since they are on sale Happy fall decorating!

      Delete
  4. a lovely arrangement. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love participating in your blog hop each week! Hope you are having a nice autumn and staying warm!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ...thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do beautiful work, so happy I discovered your blog, love if you share these flower arrangements on Fabulous Friday Party
    Thanks Maria
    http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party-inspiring-features/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post. Thanks for sharing your expertise! I'd love you to share it at the Fabulous Fall linky party! Come by and join the fun!

    http://myjourneyback-thejourneyback.blogspot.com/2014/10/fabulous-fall-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janelle,
    Thanks for linking your Fabulous post at the Fabulous Fall party!
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know about your party! Hope you have a great Sunday too!

      Delete
  10. thanks for sharing this pretty arrangement at my last Fabulous Friday Party! Stop by this Friday and party again with us! Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete